Saturday, February 8, 2014

Back by Popular Demand... er... a few requests


The post title makes it sound a little like the McRib… well I don’t have pickles or super processed meat on a dry bun, but I do have photos.

So let’s do something fun.  Let’s pretend like it hasn’t been ages since I shared a blog post, and look at some photos; unedited, super lazy, but exciting photos.  Believe it or not, even though I haven’t continued writing on the blog, we have continued work on the house.  Here is the Heffelfinger Homestead as she stands now.


Jon picked this happy yellow color. He doesn’t have too many opinions about such things, so when he does, I try to take advantage of the opportunity to not have to make a decision! I LOVE it! Now he refuses to choose the color for the shutters…. hmmm, maybe green? Blue? White? This is why I like Jon’s decisiveness! A future project that we are already planning is to add a full mason fireplace on that empty wall between the tiny windows… someday.

Someday (well after we move in) we’ll cover that ugly concrete wall with a sandstone veneer.

Basement walk-out. Someday this will not be where we store the 4-wheelers, but where I have a hammock, patio furniture, and fire pit. Someday.
There are a lot of “somedays” with the way we are doing things.  We are trying to do a lot of the work ourselves, but that means we have to take our time, and we are spreading out a lot of the work and expenses.  By the time the house is done with all the “somedays” we’ll be deciding who to leave the house to in our will.

We have completed the rough-in work for electrical, plumbing, and heating and air.  We have all the insulation done, and we are currently working on drywall, painting, and even a little tile.  Here is where we are making the most recent progress, the kids’ bathroom.  It’s tiny, but that doesn’t mean it can’t be awesome.  Imagine a few photos from our beach vacation on the walls, faux paneling, and shabby chic white cotton shower curtain.  I only share this detail because this is the only room in the house that I have figured out this much.  I don’t even know what colors we’ll do in any other room.  Well, I have it narrowed down to about 10 options, but, hey, that’s progress.


This washstand is a flea market find. Add a vessel sink, viola, loveliness! I might be a little jealous of the kids’ sink.
 
Just starting to layout the tile. Tackling this project this weekend.

A little peak at the master bathroom. Under this window will sit my claw foot tub! That little treasure is tucked under a dropcloth at the moment, but I’ll share photos of that craigslist find later. The smaller dark window and doorway to the left will be our walk in shower.
This pile of material will become the shower in the master bathroom. Yay, subway tile!

The rest of these photos are random.  I’m particularly excited about each of them, and they were easily accessible for a snapshot.

This is one of the non-negotiables with the house, a dutch door. Thankfully Jon is a wonderful husband and humored me with this beautiful but extremely inefficient, odd-ball door. This opens up from our kitchen to the back deck that looks out over miles of beautiful Kentucky hills.
 
This is the chestnut oak flooring that will run throughout the house wherever there is not tile. Every board came from the trees that stood where the house now sits. We are so happy to be able to use the resources that are available to us. This land is providing so much for us.
So for the rest of the photos I have to tell you, we have these great friends; their home belongs in a primitive home décor magazine.  It is gorgeous!  And lucky for us they have a lot of extra awesome stuff.  We were lucky enough to get these beautiful doors and a window from them.  Jon, being the incredibly handy husband that he is, loves me enough to make custom door jambs to hang these vintage, authentic, solid wood beauties.  Many of these doors still have all the original functioning hardware.  I even have a skeleton key for one of them!

This old exterior door will be the door to our laundry room. I didn’t know what we were going to use it for when I first saw it, but I knew I had to have it! That is real beveled glass, folks!

Probably a closet door, after a little cleaning.

It might be a little unconventional, but I plan to turn this baby on its side, add a little crown molding to the top and have a super cute, super easy, super cheap headboard.


Ok, I’ve got nothing on this one. I’m putting a window in an interior wall between the mudroom and kitchen, but this one is a little too tall, so I’ll use a previously found vintage window. It might end up as a cabinet door, a picture frame, or a door to a kid’s play area under the basement stairs. Whatever it is, it is wonderful!


Whether we stain that door or paint it, it will open up to this view. This is the view from our room. That’s our barn down there to the left, then miles and miles of hills.
You might be able to tell that we are doing our best to make this house feel like it has been here for years.  I hope that the floor plans and material we use will come together to create a home that feels like it has history.  In fact, it kind of already does.  We’ve acquired material, fixtures, doors, hardware, and all kinds of odds and ends from so many loved ones that will be a part of this house.  When we live among these things we will forever be reminded of how blessed we are to have such amazing people in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment