Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Our Little Slice of Heaven - "Grand Opening"

Now for the real start of the blog.  Think of that first entry as the pre-opening and this is the grand opening that will maybe be even better.  Imagine big signs, and balloons, and a little fake excitement, just the way TJ Maxx would do it.  Now here’s a photo just to keep you reading.



This is our horse, Rocket.  He really doesn’t have anything to do with this entry, but you should keep reading anyway.

Why am I blogging?  Well, my hubby, Jon and I, are perpetually falling in love, and we are chasing our dreams with our two beautiful boys (and ANOTHER baby on the way!  Whhhhaaaat?  Yeah, I guess we like babies a little bit.)   And I guess I just want to brag tell you about it.  I think there is a lot of excitement in life if you ride the line between choosing to be brave and risk doing something stupid.  We can serve as an example of riding that line, and you’ll see that when we mess up life is still great and there is so much to enjoy.  I want to spread the word that it is worth risking hard times to live the life you want…or you can all just laugh at our hysterical naivety that I prefer to call optimism, and continue in your cynicism as we continue to have a great time in this adventure.  Did I just come across as cynical… definitely not.  I could never have such a vice.
Back to my bragging story.  Jon and I, we are soul mates/best friends/awesome (yeah, I said soul mates, gag if you must).   We have been together since I was 14 and he 16.  Here’s proof, thanks to one of our youth counselors who shared this on Facebook.  Now I get to share it with you:


 So the story goes that we dated all through high school and college, got hitched (with a hog roast, no less – it was a classy hog roast, you can ask our wedding guests) then we started having babies!  And THEN… the hospital just sent us on our way and said “make sure the car seat is in the middle, and put this goop on your nipples.”  Well, that’s what I remember at least, but I’ve slept since then not had a single full night of sleep since the third trimester of the first pregnancy 4 years ago.  It’s all a blur…..                                               
Where was I?  Oh yeah.  Both our boys are so beautiful, so smart, so funny, and so loving!  So, maybe somewhere between all the things we don’t do quite right, we’re getting something right. 
That brings us to 2012.  We live in Kentucky, Y’all!!  We have been trying to move here for 3 years!  We probably could have just walked down here in that amount of time, but that’s not our style.  Our style is going on and on for years about our big plans and how it’s going to happen any day… then one day, the man (Hubby’s company) FINALLY calls up and says “Sure!  Come work in Kentucky, where the land is beautiful (and inexpensive) and it’s slightly warmer and awesome because they have Ale 8 in abundance – look it up.”  Then, we say “OKAY!!”  We pack up enough stuff to fill a camper; we sell our house; we find and buy our little slice of Heaven. Now we are Wildcat fans!  ).  Isn’t that every little girl’s dream?  Fall in love, kids, wildcats? Something like that.
So now that I have officially started this blog, what can you expect to find here? I’m sure to go on and on wrestling with homebuilding decisions (like, whether or not to line the boys rooms with padding – just kidding, sound proofing should suffice), parenting dilemmas, more bragging about my spouse, and all the hilarity that is sure to ensue with a family of 4 (soon-to-be 5) uprooting, settling, building, and playing in this beautiful land!  Also, I like to fantasize about being a photographer (www.facebook.com/MelissaHeffelfingerPhotography), so I’ll probably throw some of that in there too.  What you will NOT find on this blog is an expert opinion on anything.  There will be plenty of opinions, but what they will lack is an expert source.
Tomorrow I’ll post some photos to show you how our dreams are materializing.

2 comments:

  1. Melissa this is awesome. I have started one too. You have inspired me to do so. I have been thinking about it for a long time now! Just started yesterday. I am at www.faithful61blogspot.com. I hope it comes up for you. I will post some of Gpa's poems for you to read as well. I love you and keep the writing going. You have a gift! I love you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks, Faith!! That's so great. I'll look yours up! I look forward to seeing Grandpa's poems too!

      Delete